Friday, August 1, 2008

"Don't Stop Believin"

I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.

I'll start off with the bad news so that I can end on a positive note. Day 3 b/w did not turn out like myself or CCRM had expected. E2=46, LH=6.4, and FSH=14.3. I'm still in shock over the FSH level. My last FSH check was on 3-21-08 and it was 6.8! I don't have any signs of a "typical" high FSH patient. I stimulate really well (33 eggs on IVF#1 and 17 eggs on IVF#2). I also have a high AFC~25-30 and good AMH-4.2. So, I tried to wait patiently for Dr. Sch to give his final ruling on me. I worried so much yesterday that he wouldn't accept me anymore as a CCRM patient due to my "bad score." Then, one of my fave songs (okay to be honest, I have hundreds of faves, but still) came on the radio: Journey's "Don't Stop Believin." So, for the rest of the day, I tried to be more hopeful.

CCRM nurse called last night and Dr. Sch's verdict was: he's not overly concerned about the high FSH since it doesn't match with anything else my body seems to be doing. The nurse said he gives me 60% chance for pg. success. When I asked the nurse what that meant, she said "Well, we just told another 33 y/o with an FSH=12 that her chances were 40%." So, I guess they still think I've got a chance, so that's what I've got to keep believing as well. While a high FSH does reflect poor egg quality, he's not so sure that my high number of follies aren't driving up my FSH number. She went on to say that despite the FSH/LH ratio not definitely pointing to PCOS, he still thinks I either have PCOS or PC-like ovaries. Therefore, you guessed it: I'm starting Metformin today (provided my stat liver enzymes come back good).

My protocol won't change tremendously: I will still be doing the long Lupron protocol. However, he is starting me out on really, really low doses: Gonal-F 75 and Menopur 75. I've got to be checked after 3 days of stims and then they'll have a better picture of how to proceed. I'm so glad I'm cycling with CCRM. Even though PCOS is the most common cause of infertility, my old RE would've just put me through another IVF with no better answers. I also like being in Dr. Sch's care as I think he is as detail-oriented and probably as OCD as I am about

Okay, I don't think being diagnosed finally with PCOS is good news (just in case any of you thought I was finished). My good news: I won the trip to Los Cabos, Mexico!!!!!!!! The dates kinda stink with everything else going on with my IVF cycle, but I'm going to Mexico!!!!!!! We are staying at a fabulous hotel called Marquis Los Cabos Sept. 10-14. I should at least be home from Denver by Sept. 7th. Check it out at So, I'll be recovering from my ER on the beach!! Yeah!


seriously? said...

Yey for good news! Congratulations on the trip. You could really use that. What a way to recover.


DAVs said...

Congrats on the trip!
And I'm glad they still give you such a high chance of success--they know what they're doing!

TTCinDC said...

Wow, that's going to be so much fun. And a 60% prediction from CCRM is even more fantastic... they are basically saying you have BETTER than typical odds at getting a pregnancy out of this cycle. SO happy for you!!

Kate said...

I am sorry to hear about your FSH, but since your AFC and AMH were both well in the normal range, I would say that you are definitely a good candidate. Unfortunately my AFC and AMH reflected my elevated FSH:(

GL - I will be watching your progress.

MamaSoon said...


What a wacky FSH! Your AMH is amazing. I am glad they are doing everything to make your dreams come true. Could the FSH be a lab fluke? I guess they'll test again tomorrow right?

beth said...


I know exactly what you are saying about the news!!!! It just must feel gREat! to have answers once and for all... The FSH number is weird but he's able to explain it so I wouldn't worry either. Its so amazing that you have the opportunity to work with such a faB justs sound like you two (and soon to be three) are in the greatest HANDS!!!!!

I's so excited for you and your trip!!! What a great gift after retrievaL must be workin your ARSE off!!!!!!
Have an amazing timeeee!
HugE loVe&thoughts

Steph said...

Well, I have to tell you that I feel like I need a dictionary every time I read one of these blog entries (I know, you have the meanings of the abbreviations on your blog). I say that as part of what else I want to say - that you are truly amazing. Yes, a little OCD, but the effort and love and dedication you have to this child who isn't here yet (but will be, however it happens, he/she will be here one day) is overwhelming. I have always known you were one of the smartest, most beautiful and most amazing women I know, but I am reminded of it over and over again as I read your blog entries and watch you go through this process. You are my hero. I know that sound completely corny, but it's true. You are.

The Wright's said...

sounds like your doctor is really on the right path and things seem to already be going so much better!

plus....MEXICO!?!?!?! congratulations! i can't think of a better way to recover from the ER!

Emily said...

YAY!! I knew you would win it - you are a SUPERSTAR!!! Sales rewards trips are the best.

It was so good to talk to you last night, even though we got cut a little short (damn that CCRM -j/k)!
Hopefully we will not have such trouble catching up in the future.

Glad Dr. S doesn't seem too concerned.

Kristen said...

You won a trip! How cool is that!!??!!??

I am so happy to hear that CCRM is so positive for you. I really hope this is IT for you! I'll be anxiously reading your updates. :-)

Jen said...

Congrats on your trip. How awesome. :)

We are now looking at CCRM too, so it's interesting to see what they are doing with you. So far, I am very impressed. And 60 percent? That's awesome.

As I read, it sounds like we have the same issues. Actually, my RE here at home thinks I don't have pcos but "you respond like a pcos gal" so he suggested the same thing.... really low doses of stims to start.

I will be following your progress and wish you all the best.

shawna said...

I am so glad that you are getting some answers. I will be praying that they lead to the solution. Good Luck!!

Hope2morrow said...

Congrats on winning the trip! How awesome! The place looks beautimous! I hope you enjoy your time there and relax, read, and get some great massages!

Lost in Space said...

I can't think of a better way to recover from ER than spending time on the beach. Congrats on the trip!!

I have elevated FSH also and while I don't respond nearly as well as you do, I still respond. It's just a number and the 60% chance that CCRM is giving you speaks volumes over one number.

I think you are in great hands there!!!

M. said...

Wow, I have so much to say!! First, "Don't stop believin'" was my bar exam theme song. I LOVE that song!

Second, go you for winning the trip :) You rock!

Third, I'm so glad they're figuring things out. This is exactly what you needed. I just feel like this is going to work.

Fourth, I am continuing to maintain radio silence about my situation, but I have to tell you: I did post an update on SAIF. Not saying anything on the blog until we have heartbeat confirmation. 'Nuf said :)

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Wow, Jill! Congratulations on winning that trip - you are a superstar! :)

I'm so happy you're getting answers and someone is finally paying attention for you! 60% is great and you know what? It's 3x the chance of a normal fertile couple - so you can officially tell fertiles to suck it! (well, sort of...)

Michelle & David said...

Hi Jill-

A friend of mine recommended your blog. Funny how much we have in common: I lived in Lexington for 7 years (now in NY) and I had a long (10 years) battle with infertility.

I've been reading your journey and I have been where you are now. My heart breaks for you with every post I read. Being a human pincushion really takes it's toll.

I truly hope your 60% prediction proves to be more than enough to become pregnant and that the rest of the year brings you good health. Stay positive, sister and have a great time on your much-deserved trip. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Just Me. said...

Wow!!! Congrats on the trip!!!!

I am hoping for hope for you!